Answer to the 5 little Tips (tests) – Part 4/5
The task: To convert “1” to “Tick” in a table like the following one:
Answer: Copy and Paste with a simple trick …
What? Not Find and Replace? Yes, you may do it by using Find and Replace. As it is Excel, there are different ways to accomplish the same task. Either way, the first thing we need to know is how to insert a “Tick” mark. Sound silly? But are you sure every one knows how to do that?? I have a blogpost to describe how to perform a similar task.
The following screencast shows you how to accomplish the task:
Here’s step-by-step instructions:
First insert “Tick” in an empty cell,
- Insert Tab –> Symbols
- Select “Windings” font
- Look for the “Tick” –> Insert –> Close
A “Tick” is inserted into the cell.
Then Copy and Paste,
- Copy the cell with “Tick”
- Select the range ( i.e. C4:D23 in the above example)
- HOME tab –> Editing group –> Find & Select –> Go to Special… (Shortcut tip: Ctrl+G, followed by Alt+S)
- Select “Constants” –> OK
- All the cells with “1” are selected.
- Paste (Tip: simply pressing Enter instead of Ctrl+V).
As simple as this.
You may wonder why I am not using the Find and Replace method. Well, I will leave that as your homework. Try and observe. Tell us your findings by leaving comments below. 🙂