+ – x / would be the four basic operators you learned in Excel basic. When you learned to use SUM instead of +, did you ask yourself or your teacher why?
1) SUM is much easier to input and edit.
2) SUM ignores text
- SUM changes the range from B2:B6 to B2:B5 automatically.
- + shows #REF! as one of the reference was deleted.
- SUM changes the ranges from B2:B6 to B2:B7 automatically – giving you updated result
- + shifts the cell reference below row 4 by 1, giving you the “original result”; and missing the newly inserted data
Nevertheless, both SUM and + do not accept error.
So which one is better? well, it depends… ;p